Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where did you come from? Where did you go?

Study abroad is a lot like being stuck in a sort of middle school purgatory where there are a lot of field trips and comfort food, but ultimately one finds themselves trapped in stagnation: I can't work, I am not required to write 40 pages in school papers, and focusing on anything important proves extremely difficult. 

Today I woke up at 11, attempted to roll r's for two hours, watched tv, ate pretzels and took a nap until supper because, well shoot, rolling r's really tuckers me out!-- point is : While this was AWESOME, I really don't know how I can maintain such a lethargic lifestyle for the next seven months.

Basically I have this fear that when I eventually return home I will have a mental break down upon realizing that , oh yeah, real life exists and no I can't really get paid for being as Hungarian as possible (which really seems to be my only life purpose at the moment).

GOAL: Some how make this year feel like a step forward, not just a break /establish a legitimate feeling of stability here. (sounds pretty good eh?)

ANYWAYS

While I might be drowning in a toxic sludge of idleness (too soon? ) Some pretty neat things have been going on:

PER EXAMPLE- Last weekend I spent four days in Transylvania*           
                                                                                                                                     *(NO I didn't go to Dracula's castle and NO I don't want to hear  various vampire jokes and comments)

 Preface: We went to Transylvania  because it used to be a part of Hungary until it was awarded to Romania after WWI                                                                     ( Treaty of Trianon = good idea  DUMB)

This was undoubtedly one of my favorite trips so far. We were in the mountains, perused through the annual market and stayed with families in the small town of kalotaszentkirály where we attended (and danced at) the harvest ball.

         The beginning of the dance was folk music (played by a live band of course) and eventually switched to  "contemporary" music. A small group of us attempted to dance to the sick beat of the fiddle and synthesized keyboard, but one could not help but feel a bit of yearning for the dance parties of home or at least some sense of familiarity.    
              And then an upbeat, arm swinging diddy began to play into the crowd: Cotton Eye Joe
(Contemporary- adj. Hungarian hits circa 1980?)

Suddenly we are all singing the most random yet nostalgic song and a people bridge was formed. ( you know, the going under people's arms then forming the bridge when you're out, and then...you know..well...youtube it or something. geeze).

At anyrate it was hands-down the most memorable and awesome part of the evening.

Point being: music and dancing (and cotton eye Joe) = Best intercultural experience EVER.


 So yes, Transylvania was amazing. The food was delicious, the people wonderful, and the country side beautiful. I find myself more and more being attracted away from the city.


 Alright, that's it for now.
I will try to write more often,
sorry it takes so long,
blah blah blah ( Ke$ha? What? )

GOOD NIGHT.

2 comments: